Make this and I promise you’ll never buy granola again, there’s no point. It’s not only a snap to make but it’s totally delicious. And good for you. Put a huge jar of it on the kitchen counter to encourage guiltless snacking. Bag it up and give it to your nearest and dearest. There are so many granola recipes out there but this is by far my current favorite, there’s something about the combination of cherries and almonds. All six members of my family love this and I can promise you – that’s practically unheard of, in fact it may be a first.
This recipe a blueprint rather than anything too specific. There are lots substitutions if you prefer.
As far as nuts go try: walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews (yum), pecans, pistachios (yum yum).
Any of the following seeds would be fantastic: sesame, sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, chia,
Alternative flavorings: vanilla extract, almond extract, rosewater, orangeflower water, cinnamon, nutmeg,
Added crunchy treats: dried flaked coconut, dried banana slices,
As far as dried fruit is concerned the list is endless, (just make sure it’s unsulfured) here are a few:
raisins, cranberries, cherries, goji berries, acai berries, golden berries, blueberries, apricots.
Cherry, Almond Granola.
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 1/2 cups of raw, organic almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup of organic canola oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon of best quality vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 cups of dried cherries
- Heat the oven to 300 F.
- Mix the oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds on a large baking sheet.
- In a bowl mix the oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt together.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry and mix together thoroughly.
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, with the timer set every 10 minutes at which point remove the granola from the oven, stir the ingredients around to make sure everything is cooking and browning consistently, then return to the oven.
- When you return it to the oven for the last 10 minutes, mix in the dried cherries. The granola is done when it’s lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool thoroughly. Store in an airtight container.
See – easy!!